International

Trump envoy Gordon Sondland revises testimony on Ukraine aid

20views

A US diplomat has revised his testimony to a congressional investigation that could seek to remove US President Donald Trump from office.

Gordon Sondland says he now remembers telling a Ukrainian official that US military aid “likely” hinged on a political inquiry sought by Mr Trump.

The US envoy previously denied any politically motivated aid freeze.

Mr Trump denies withholding $400m in aid to prod Ukraine into investigating his political rival, Joe Biden.

On Tuesday, congressional impeachment investigators released a transcript of Mr Sondland’s closed-door testimony last month to their committees.

Mr Sondland, a Seattle hotelier and Trump donor who was appointed as ambassador to the EU in June last year, filed a three-page addition to the testimony.

The impeachment inquiry is trying to establish whether Mr Trump was prodding Ukraine’s president into launching an inquiry into Democratic White House contender Joe Biden, whose son, Hunter Biden, was on the board of the Ukrainian energy company Burisma.

In the addendum, Mr Sondland says he now remembers a conversation on 1 September with Andriy Yermak, an aide to the Ukrainian president.

“I now recall speaking individually with Mr Yermak, where I said resumption of US aid would likely not occur until Ukraine provided the public anti-corruption statement that we had been discussing for many weeks,” Mr Sondland said.

This refers to demands that Burisma should be investigated. Mr Sondland’s revision is significant because the inquiry has already heard how he emphatically denied any suggestion of a link between US aid and political investigations.

William Taylor, the acting US ambassador to Ukraine, had repeatedly questioned Mr Sondland in text messages about a quid pro quo, a Latin phrase meaning an exchange of favours.

“Are we now saying that security assistance and WH [White House] meeting [for Ukraine’s president] are conditioned on investigations?” Mr Taylor had asked.

Mr Sondland had responded by text on 9 September: “Bill, I believe you are incorrect about President Trump’s intentions. The president has been crystal clear no quid pro quo’s of any kind.”

The White House responded by noting that in his addendum, Mr Sondland “did not identify a solid source” for his assumption that there had been a quid pro quo.

“No amount of salacious media-biased headlines‚Ķ change the fact that the President has done nothing wrong,” White House Press Secretary Stephanie Grisham said in a statement.

BBC

Leave a Response